Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Farmers' Market Scarf


The colors in the farmers' market photos from last post. were so rich and interesting to me that I decided to pick some of them and weave a special scarf. I chose green, purple, tomato red and beet red. Or maybe that was eggplant, chard and oregano? Apple and broccoli? Plum and pluot?


The yarns in this scarf are made from soy, corn, milk, rayon, cotton, bamboo and a little acrylic, I think. I tried to use as much of the vegetable fibers as I could to keep with the theme.
This will be donated to a fund-raiser for one of the regular market farmers who recently suffered a severe accident while working and lost an arm. The cost of the helicopter ride to the hospital ($30,000) was not covered by his insurance and the local community is rallying to help him with that. Here is a lovely article in the local newspaper about him and his partner,
The scarf will be part of a silent auction at one of the fundraising events and I hope that someone loves it and that it helps fill the pot to help with the medical expenses.
This Saturday is one of the occasions on which the Farmers' Market will have artisans as part of it and I was lucky enough to get a booth. I will be weaving and have an extra loom for anyone who wants to stop by, sit and weave. You are invited!  Cabrillo College, Aptos, CA  Saturday, September 25th, 8AM - Noon.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful scarf!!! I'm sure it will be a big hit at the auction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great scarf and your guitar strap is over the moon, or is it Saturn???
    Beautiful work all of it!

    ReplyDelete