Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Handspun Hand-Me-Downs

One of the blessings of inkle weaving (there are many) is that you don't need a whole lot of yarn to make something cool. Even a bit of yarn that only goes around the loom once or twice can be a nice addition to a piece. Sometimes, other weavers, spinners or knitters will have a little bit of yarn that isn't enough to do anything with and you may be the beneficiary when they are cleaning up their studio. Well, I have been lucky enough to be in that position.
Just this week I have been digging in my bins of handspun yarn. FUN!

This one was woven with leftovers of blue, green and charcoal gray. I love how these colors blend together. The stripes are not the same width because I didn't have enough yarn to finish the symmetrical striped pattern that I started. If you look close, you can see that one border is actually black where I ran out of the charcoal altogether.



This one is made from what was left of two balls of handspun. In both yarns, made by different spinners, there are several colors blended at random: gray, rust, mossy green, brown and salmon mostly. The woven result is very organic looking.




These are both going in my NEW Etsy Shop which I finally got open. It is still under construction, but ready for business.

1 comment:

  1. I am very impressed with how neat these are, I tried an inkle band in wool yarn and found it much more difficult than my ususal cotton yarns. I like the colours of your bands very much.

    ReplyDelete