Monday, December 7, 2009

You may remember a while back when I decided to weave with cassette tapes. If not, here is the earlier post. Up until now, I have used the tape for warp and brightly colored nylon for weft because it shows through a little. So far it is an interesting idea that amuses people who see these pieces, but I have not found a practical application. I did a put a buckle on one piece for a belt, entered it in the fair and won a prize. I hid the part where the tape along the edge got torn by the buckle. It doesn't tie well for a sash. It's plastic and not neck friendly for a scarf.
This week someone asked me if I could make a guitar strap with cassette tape. At first, I said no. It isn't very strong. Besides, the plastic wouldn't be comfortable to wear.
This was followed by a middle-of-the-night epiphany. What if I used two strands together, one cassette tape and one cotton? This would make it more durable and more comfortable! I searched through my stash of tapes. Most of them are brown. I finally found a black one and warped it up with some black cotton.
Click on these photos to enlarge.

Oh, yeah! I'm onto something here. I need to find a strap tester and see how this holds up before I start offering them for sale.

3 comments:

  1. That's a cool idea - especially for a guitar strap. I'm surprised at how good it looks!! You could do different combos of colors too - well if it holds up. I think pink or fuchsia would look good with tape too!

    Have fun!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This one feels so much nicer with the cotton than the previous ones. I've asked a friend to test the strength and durability for me. We'll see. If it works, it will be very cool. I can do custom orders. "Whose music would you like on your casette tape strap?"

    ReplyDelete