Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Key Fobs

Last week, with my daughter behind the camera, we photographed my collection of key fobs.
The collection is now for sale here in my Etsy shop: Key Fobs on Etsy
We decided to try the very stark white background approach to product photography.
For those of you who are used to seeing my colorful photos, you know what a different thing this is for me. I agree that the photo has no distractions and shows the product off well, however, I'm not sure that it reflects me and my aesthetic. I'm having a dilemma.  Please let me know what you think!






The below photo shows a group together and is a much more fun photo, if you ask me!


I cut the woven band at about 10.5" and when folded and clamped into the hardware, it makes a loop about 10" around, easy enough for the average person to slip over their wrist. 

Last summer I did a wholesale order of 50 for a customer from Japan.
He requested that I make the loops shorter, about 6".
The photos below shows some of that order.
There were "brights" and "earth tones". 



If you are interested in making your own, I recommend the following resources.
My friend, Kim Varland, helped me to figure out the details of assembling my bands into key fobs.
She created this very detailed tutorial which is for purchase here in her Etsy shop: Key Fob Tutorial

I've been buying the hardware from this shop on Etsy:  SewingSupplies on Etsy

6 comments:

  1. I love the colorful pictures with the whole range of key fobs! I think a stark white background can work well for a product photo, but maybe to make it work better for you try doing close-up shots rather than including the whole edge. If I was searching for key fobs from multiple sellers on Etsy, I'd be more likely to click on one of the colorful pictures, but might like to see a close-up of the actual color in the product listing before buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the brown backgrounds. They're non-intrusive yet more interesting than the plain white. The basket is a bit too much pattern on pattern for my tastes. I find it difficult to focus on the weavings rather than the photo as a whole. Very lovely work as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the basket photo first, the brown backgrounds second. Ever notice how "product" photography reduces the object in question to ... well ... product? Your weavings are much more than that. Too pretty, too personal for a sterile white background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That is my dilemma, exactly. The white background makes it easy to see the item, but it's too sterile to reflect my tastes.

      Delete