Sunday, July 5, 2015

Design Elements - Asymmetrical

Typically the bands I weave have designs which are symmetrical. Most often designs which I see from other weavers are also. Every once in a while, I like to mix it up and do something asymmetrical, although it seems that I must find some sort of balance in the unbalance. It sure makes setup easy as I don't have to take care when warping the loom to be sure that the second half mirrors the first half. It's kind of freeing. I have not done this enough to develop any kind of style or idea of what makes a good design when symmetry is not a concern. It's one of the things I look forward to exploring more.
What do you think of the following examples?
Have you had any success in creating great designs which are not symmetrical?


inkle weaving, inkle patterns, asymmetrical

In the design above, I really liked the skinny red stripe along one border. 

inkle weaving


inkle weaving, inkle band design

inkle weaving, inkle band design, inkle pattern


In the center of this design, the sari silk yarn creates a great effect and the coordinating colors of mustard yellow and berry red really worked well.

2 comments:

  1. I love them . . .I will talk to my young weavers about these types of inkle designs. Thanks for shaking some creative thoughts loose. It is very easy to get into a rut of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alpaca Lady! I looked at your blog and it looks like you are all having a good time at summer camp. I could see how this idea might appeal to your young weavers. Please let me know if some inspirations come from this.
    ~Annie

    ReplyDelete