Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Circus Belt

Last year, I was contacted by a buyer for a very famous circus asking if I could replicate a belt for one of their costumes. I did. They liked it. This year, I was asked to make 2 more because this is a long-running show in Las Vegas. So I did. When I asked, I was told that I could not use their name when showing this online. Maybe one day, I'll make it to Las Vegas and see my belt perform!


By using the big loom, I was able to weave the two belts on one warp.


It has a lot of colors, ones which I probably would not have put together, and not in that order.
This is the beauty of doing custom work! Someone else's color ideas can be fun!
The original belt used a very different weave structure. After thinking about it for a while, I realized that the buyer was not really interested in HOW it was made, they just wanted it to have the same look. I was able to satisfy their need with this plain weave version.  


I liked the way the original belt was finished with the thick braids and wrapped ends.
It was fun to do them this way, as it is different than my usual finishing methods. 




5 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Annie, on repeat circus work. Those belts are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, it is not everyday you hear of a fellow weaver with custom orders for a circus - now that is very cool. I agree the fun of doing custom work can be the joy of seeing different color combinations we had not thought of. Working outside of our color comfort zone can be inspiring don't you think? Lovely belts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. OK THAT'S THE COOLEST THING EVER! I would nearly die from the awesome if I was contacted for something like that! Fun!

      I adore all your beautiful straps and am really excited for your guitar strap site!

      Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Thanks to you all for sharing my excitement! I wish that I could see photos of the costume using the belt! Wouldn't that be cool? It really was a big honor and I wish that they needed hundreds of belts so that I could just run off and join the circus as a weaver. Oh, well. A girl can dream!
    Thanks, JQ for checking out the new website; I think it's coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete