Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My New Kick- The Utility Bracelet

I love jewelry and have been wanting to find a way to use my weaving to create something fun in the jewelry category for quite a long time. Every idea I've come up with so far  has been too complicated. Until now, none of them have come to fruition. An accidental discovery of these small side release buckles recently gave me what I was looking for.


These bracelets are super lightweight and soft against your arm. 
They are nice to wear, in pairs or groups even.



But that's not all, oh no, that's not all. You can use them for 100  other things (still working on the list). 
If you think of them as a tiny utility strap (like you can buy at the camping store) or perhaps a soft and flexible carabiner, you will be able to come up with several uses right off the top of your head, I bet.





Here are the first ones that come to my mind:
keys to belt loop
keys to purse strap
water bottle to backpack
kids lunchbox to backpack
umbrella to briefcase
I'd love to hear your ideas! Please leave a comment!
The first few have been listed in my Etsy shop here. http://www.etsy.com/shop/ASpinnerWeaver?section_id=10374886

6 comments:

  1. Annie, I love these! What a great discovery. I'm going to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these as utility straps! Really! I just bet you DO come up with 100 ways to use them.

    Perfect stocking stuffers for every single person on every Christmas list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing I thought of was a cute personalized dog collar :) But they also look like friendship bracelets, but I think the clasp looks abrasive for that, a simple knot in my mind would do. The weaving is super cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Pam for the stocking stuffer thought. I'll have to advertise them that way! Thank also to Alice for your suggestions. While the knot would make the bracelet adjustable, I thought it bulky. I do intend to make some dog collars with beefier buckles, a D-ring and machine sewing for durability under stress. Fun things to do with inkle weaving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot see the images. Do you know what I need to do to see them? I wanna ooohhh and ahhhhh.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photos got lost for two years worth of blog posts when I joined Google+ and accidentally deleted a Picasa photo album which containte all of my blog's photos. I just replaced these!
      ~Annie

      Delete