Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tough Enough to Wear Pink

While pink is not typically associated with rough and rugged cowboys and cowgirls, the "Tough Enough to Wear Pink" program has been a phenomenal success. It was created by entrepreneur and breast cancer survivor, Terry Wheatley, to bring the sport of professional rodeo and the western community together to rally against breast cancer. Since its inception in 2004, TETWP has empowered rodeos and western events in the U.S. and Canada to focus attention on the need for a cure. To date, the campaign has raised $5 million dollars for breast cancer charities, much of which stays right in the community. The grassroots movement has inspired other sports communities to mount their own TETWP campaigns, spreading a message of hope and support that reaches beyond the rodeo arena to competitors, families and fans across America.


Recently I met a rancher who is involved locally in the California Rodeo Salinas. She asked me if I could make some pink bracelets to be sold at the event to raise money for the TETWP campaign. I had not made bracelets before and puzzled over how to fasten them. Etsy came through for me again when I found Sewing Supplies shop selling 1/2" and 5/8" clasps. I think that they turned out great and am looking forward to making them in all sorts of colors in the future. In the meantime, this basket of 25 bracelets is off to the Rodeo. And so are my husband and I on Sunday.  Maybe I'll snap a few photos to share with you!

2 comments:

  1. Annie, THANKS so much for this link!!!! I have prowled over ebay etc looking at giant companies selling too many types of ugly bulky "connectors", never thought of Etsy!...
    And thanks for visiting my blog!
    Spam: I am doing a 2-day practice workshop to gt ready for the big conference -- Jan or Feb in Redwood City. I already have enough people so NO pressure! but have room for a few more, would love to have you. (Guinea pig workshop--Cheap!) BTW loop braiding is great for finishing warp ends, can make very fine braids very quickly, right off the warp (2 at a time!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of bracelets! And that there will be more!

    ReplyDelete