Sunday, January 3, 2010

What Color is Aquamarine?

A customer of mine is having me make several pair of garters for her. She likes colors- lots of them. A particular favorite is aquamarine or sea blue.
Well, I thought I knew what that meant. No, what I had in mind was more like turquoise, which happens to be a favorite of mine. Love the stone.
She tried showing me a scarf and a sweater, but when she showed me her beautiful ring featuring the stone, aquamarine, I think I got it.
Then I set out to buy some yarn in this color. Favorite yarn shops on the internet didn't yield anything right away. So, I went to Etsy, the handmade marketplace where my online shop resides because you can by supplies there, too. The first search of aquamarine wool yarn produced 2 results, neither of which I was drawn to. When I expanded my search to blue wool yarn, there were 1,341 results. I narrowed it down to 3 things that I thought I would try and ordered them from 3 different sellers. That was fun!
Here is what I ended up with. The vintage yarn, "Minerva" turned out to be too elastic for weaving with., but the other two were great.
"Inspiration" on the lower left is a delightfully silky blend of50% alpaca and 50% soysilk from South West Trading Company. And the one on the right is 100% superfine alpaca from the Alpaca Yarn Company.
Stay tuned to see what I made with these.

No comments:

Post a Comment